Connecting Our Children To God
A heritage is something you receive a legacy is something you leave. By Gods design one of the reasons family exists is so children are raised in the heritage of the Lord. The reality of God is the greatest inheritance, treasure or legacy in the world. God created the relationship between parents and children as the primary means of transmitting the truth of that reality from one generation to the next.
- What are 2 or 3 of the most important values to teach our children?
- What are strategies you use to teach them these values?
READ psalms 78 :1-8 and see what you find about parenting
Psalms 78: 1Give ear, O my people, to my law; Incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
2 I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old,
3 Which we have heard and known, And our fathers have told us.
4 We will not hide them from their children, Telling to the generation to come the praises of the Lord, And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.
5 For He established a testimony in Jacob, And appointed a law in Israel,
Which He commanded our fathers, That they should make them known to their children;
6 That the generation to come might know them, The children who would be born,
That they may arise and declare them to their children, 7 That they may set their hope in God, And not forget the works of God, But keep His commandments; 8 And may not be like their fathers, A stubborn and rebellious generation, A generation that did not set its heart aright, And whose spirit was not faithful to God.
- What did you see in these verses about parenting?
Notice these three crucial things for parenting in psalms 78
- There is to be a transmission from parents to children.
Verse 5: “God commanded our fathers that they should teach their children.”
- The content of this transmission is truth about God.
Verse 4: “Tell the next generation the glorious deeds (the praises of the Lord), his strength, and the wondrous works that he has done.”
- The aim of this truth transmission is a life of confidence in God.
Verse 7: “. . . that they may put their hope/confidence in God.”
We read here that the sum of our parenting is to raise kids who are confident in God!!
Pastor T said we are either strengthening the connection between our kids and God or we are weakening it.
- What are ways we strengthen the connection between our children and God?
- What are ways we weaken the connection between our children and God?
There are values that are popular and important to our culture and society when it comes to raising kids.
If we’re not careful we can prioritize these cultural values ahead of the spiritual heritage, we are to give our children.
For example, there is a lot of effort and money put into teaching our kids that a college degree is important.
- Compared to teaching them the importance of knowing God, loving God and His word, where should a college degree rank?
- What are other cultural values that we may unintentionally make more important than teaching them about the Lord?
- As parents, what are some initiatives we can put in place to keep the reality of God the most important value in our homes.
My hope and desire that with Gods help we will adjust our parenting styles, efforts and initiatives. And the adjustments will affect our children in a way that they will not just know about God but will love and worship the God they know. – Pastor T